Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 teaspoons Very Lazy Smoked Garlic
½ medium sized butternut squash or small pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1cm cubes (about 375g)
1 litre hot vegetable or chicken stock
325g risotto rice
150ml dry white wine
2 x 100g rounds goats' cheese
125g baby leaf spinach
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter with the oil, then stir in the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onion has softened.
2. Stir in the butternut squash and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until starting to brown. Add 4 tablespoons of the stock, cover the pan and sweat the vegetables for 5 minutes.
3. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes, then pour in the wine and cook for 2-3 minutes until absorbed. Stir in the stock 125ml at a time, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Roughly chop 1 of the rounds of cheese and slice the other into 4 rounds. Stir in the chopped cheese and season well. If more liquid is required stir in hot water. The risotto is ready, when the butternut squash and rice grains are tender.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach. Cover and allow it to wilt with the heat from the risotto. Serve immediately in bowls, topped with a round of cheese, freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.