21 OCTOBER 2013
Preparation time 30 minutes
Cooking time 12 minutes, plus cooling
Makes about 16
100g (4oz) Kerrygold butter
50g (2oz) caster sugar
150g (6oz) plain flour
¼ tsp ground mixed spice
1 egg yolk
Red, white and blue writing icing
Silver balls and gold stars or small sweets
1. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Sift in the flour and mixed spice, stirring to combine. Add the egg yolk and bring the mixture together with your hands, kneading lightly until smooth. Wrap and chill for 15-20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Use crown-shaped cutters to stamp into biscuits (or use a plain or fluted cutter). Carefully lift onto the baking sheets.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes until light golden. Cool for a few minutes on the trays, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Decorate the biscuits with red, white and blue writing icing, then finish them off with silver balls and gold stars or small sweets.
Approximate cost of total ingredients £1.90
Calories per biscuit 145 / Fat per biscuit 5.5g
Top tip: Why not try cooking this recipe with Kerrygold Lighter Unsalted butter and save 1.2g fat/10 calories per biscuit. Credit:
For more delicious Kerrygold recipes visit www.facebook.com/KerrygoldUK