240g full fat milk
Zest of 1 orange
50g good quality dark chocolate
250g plain flour
10g fresh yeast (or 1 tsp dried yeast)
Juice of one orange, topped up to 125ml with water
2 tsp white wine vinegar
Half a teaspoon sea salt
Lurpak® Slow Churned butter (for serving)
• Place the milk into a pan over a low heat. Add the orange zest and sugar. Grate in the chocolate.
• Simmer, stirring continuously over a low heat for a few minutes until the chocolate has melted. Do not allow it to boil.
• Place the flour in a bowl and crumble the fresh yeast into it.
• Stir in the warmed milk mixture and beat well by hand or in a mixer until it combines. Cover the bowl with plastic and leave to rest for two hours.
• Place the orange juice and water mixture in a separate pan, add the vinegar and salt, and stir over a low heat until it is warm.
• Add the liquid to the dough mixture and fold in to make a thick batter.
• Leave to rest again for 45 minutes to one hour.
• Place the griddle/flat frying pan on the hob and heat.
• Cut the potato in half an skewer with a fork. Dip the cut side into the vegetable oil and use to grease the pan. Place the rings on it.
• Pour the batter into the rings until it is level with the top.
• Cook 4-5 minutes on the hob or until the bubbles start to set on the top.
• Flip the crumpets over for a few seconds and bake the other side.
• Remove from the heat and take the crumpets out of the rings.