3 tbsp hot water
300g plain chocolate
5 tbsp Chocolate Horlicks®
4 tbsp half fat crème fraiche
2 Flake® bars
12 mini Easter eggs
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/gas 4. Grease 2 x 20cm deep sandwich tins and line the bases with baking parchment paper.
2. Heat 4 tablespoons of the milk and whisk in the Horlicks® until it forms a smooth paste.
3. Break the chocolate into a bowl and add the chocolate Horlicks® paste then set the bowl over a pan of simmering water, leave until the chocolate melts, remove from the heat and stir together until smooth. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, ground almonds, baking powder, vanilla extract and remaining milk into a large bowl and with an electric hand mixer, beat together until smooth and creamy in appearance.
5. Lightly stir the chocolate mixture into the cake mixture, folding until it looks marbled, do not over mix. Divide between the two tins and gently level. Bake for 35 minutes, test with a wooden cocktail stick to see if they’re done – they should come out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
6. Remove from the oven and after 5 minutes remove the cakes from the tins, and allow to cool completely in a cooling rack.
7. To make the frosting, in a medium bowl mix the Horlicks® and hot water to make a thick paste. Break up the chocolate, add to the bowl than set on a pan with simmering water and leave until the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl and stir together until smooth then stir in the crème fraiche.
8. Using about a quarter, spread over one of the cakes, then place the other cake on top. Spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
9. Crumble the Flake® bars and scatter over the top. Finish with a decoration of mini Easter Eggs.