mary

Will Mary Berry ever take part in Strictly Come Dancing? See what she said

by Sharnaz Shahid

She is the queen of television thanks to her culinary skills, and following her exit from The Great British Bake Off, Mary Berry is no doubt inundated with various TV requests. However, the 81-year-old has revealed she will never take part in Strictly Come Dancing because her husband "would leave her".

The former Bake Off judge, who beat Strictly's retiring judge Len Goodman to be named best TV judge at the National Television Awards on Wednesday night, confessed her family would "disown" her if she considered competing on the BBC show. She told reporters at the NTAs: "Never ever ever. I'm the most clumsy person ever, my husband would leave me, my children would chuck me out. I am not doing Strictly. Ever."

bakeoff

Mary Berry has ruled out taking part in Strictly Come Dancing

Bake Off will be moving to Channel 4 later this year, and fellow judge Paul Hollywood 's decision to remain with the show was met with controversy, particularly after Mary and show hosts Mel and Sue announced their plans to remain with the BBC.

When quizzed about whether her NTAs win was bittersweet, the popular television personality confessed: "I have done seven series and loved every single one and have nothing but wonderful memories but I felt I wanted to stay with the BBC. It's moving on, it will be different."

mary

"My husband would leave me," she confessed

She previously opened up about Paul's surprise decision, telling The Sun: "It's going to be different, but I am sure Paul will carry it on successfully. The Great British Bake Off is going to Channel 4 and I'm sure it will be very successful with Paul. Wait and see. "Mel and Sue are brilliant and we had a marvellous time on the programme and that's how it will remain… It's a family programme. Mum, gran, everyone enjoys it and they all get down to baking afterwards. I'm proud of everyone. It gets 14million (viewers) – more than the football!"