1. It is essential to invest in a moisturising shampoo and conditioner to add more moisture to the hair during the winter months.
2. Include a hair mask into your weekly hair care routine. Leave it in overnight if you can and always remember to towel dry your hair first to rid of any excess water.
3. Argan Oil is a great product to use during cold spells as they moisturise the hair instantly. Make sure the oil is not too heavy for your hair type. Ask your hair stylist who can recommend a light version.
4. During the winter months we tend to use heated appliances more. Too much heat on the hair can cause further moisture loss, so by adding a little extra effort into your blow dry, this will cut down the amount of times you will apply heat to your hair.
5. If you do use heated appliances frequently, the best way to keep your hair in the best shape is to use a good quality heat protect spray.
6. Regular trims are essential. The most effective way to keep your hair healthy is to get rid of those dry ends.
7. Our hair colour fades faster in the winter as we wash our hair more often due to weather conditions. Avoid washing your hair in hot water as it dries out the hair. Instead wash your hair in lukewarm water and blast with cold water at the ends to help close and seal the hair cuticles.
8. Avoid shampoo's that contain sulfate as they can strip the hair colour and will leave your hair looking very dull. A sulphate-free shampoo will ensure that your colour lasts all winter long.
9. During the winter months, we often find that our scalps become more brittle, itchy and flaky. To combat this use a good quality Argan oil to add nutrients and then blow dry the hair on a medium heat.
10. If you find that your hair is extremely flaky, I would recommend that you buy a medicated shampoo containing salicylic acid. After putting in the shampoo, stimulate the scalp by massaging lightly with a brush. This will increase blood circulation and help to keep a flaky scalp at bay.