Working life is a constant clamour of meetings and discussions, phones ringing, computers pinging, etc., and we rush around with stress coming at us from all sides. It isn't surprising if there are times when your body – and mind – cries out to you to slow down.
When this happens, it's a good idea to listen up and take time out to relax, even if it's only for a few minutes. There isn't always time to indulge in spa visits and retreats, so, when you realise that you need a respite, it helps to know how to create a relaxing atmosphere in your own home. Here we've put together a list of ideas to help you relax all your senses at the end of the day:
- Choose the right background music. You want soft music that will help you unwind. It could be classical music, or maybe an oriental complilation designed specifically for relaxation or meditation. (These often include sounds from nature that can help you disconnect from the workaday rush.)
- Change out of your work clothes into something loose and comforable
- Once you've chosen the music and changed into comfortable clothes, light some candles. In the modern world, electricity may be much more convenient than candle power, but it's hard to beat the gentle light of a candle for creating the perfect atmosphere for relaxation. Choose muted tones for the candles, as bright and gaudy colours can have a stimulating effect on the brain.
- Try to switch off: let your mind go blank and just focus on the shapes and patterns of the flame.
- Certain fragrances can be relaxing, so you may want to choose a scented candle or use aromotherapy oils or incense to involve your olfactory sense in the relaxation process, too. There are lots of different scents available, so experiment and find which works best for you.
- Those same scents may be available in bubble baths as well, so why not round off the day with a relaxing soak?
- Finally, sleep is when nature helps your body repair the damage of the day, and a herbal tea – maybe camomile, linden flower or valerian – before you go to bed can help you sleep better and wake refreshed and renewed.