Vanity Fair stands by Angelina Jolie article after her lawyer intervenes

The Angelina Jolie “casting game” controversy continued on Thursday evening when Vanity Fair published a response to the star’s refutes, saying they "stand by" their original article. The Oscar-winner faced criticism for the way the child audition process of her film First They Killed My Father was portrayed in the cover story. She was quick to release a statement, assuring that child safety was a priority and the interview was taken out of context. The 42-year-old talent then got her lawyer involved, asking for the section in question (see below) to be removed from the article.

CLICK FOR FULL GALLERY


Angelina Jolie called Vanity Fair story false Photo: Getty Images

The portion of the story, written by the magazine's contributing editor Evgenia Peretz, which caused the flurry of disputes reads: “In order to find their lead, to play young Loung Ung, the casting directors set up a game, rather disturbing in its realism: they put money on the table and asked the child to think of something she needed the money for, and then to snatch it away. The director would pretend to catch the child, and the child would have to come up with a lie.”

WATCH: Trailer for Angelina Jolie's film, 'First They Killed My Father,' premieres!

Vanity Fair makes it clear in their response that they stand by their originally published piece. They divulge how Angelina’s laywer said they had “mistakenly” reported the incident and urged them to “remove the original paragraph” and run a new one. V.F. reviewed the original audiotape of Peretz’s interview and published part of the original transcriptin which Angelina does in fact call the audition process a “game.”


Vanity Fair published a portion of the transcript from their interview with Angelina Photo: vanityfair.com

Angelina previously issued a statement to The Huffington Post on the matter, in which she called the article false and upsetting. She said: "I am upset that a pretend exercise in an improvisation, from an actual scene in the film, has been written about as if it was a real scenario. The suggestion that real money was taken from a child during an audition is false and upsetting. I would be outraged myself if this had happened. Every measure was taken to ensure the safety, comfort and well-being of the children on the film, starting from the audition through production to the present.”

For more of the latest celebrity and royal news follow us @HelloMagUS on Twitter, Pinterest and like us on Facebook.