On Thursday, an Italian court sentenced Amanda to 28 years and six months and her former boyfriend Raffaelle to 25 years. Their lawyers have said they will appeal.
Meredith's family have now called for Amanda to be extradited from the US if the guilty verdict is confirmed by the Supreme Court in Rome. The 26-year-old, who watched the verdict with her family in Seattle, has said she will only return to Italy "kicking and screaming".
Raffaelle, meanwhile, was reportedly stopped by police near the Austrian border following the ruling. A travel ban was placed in him as part of the verdict in Florence after the court noted that there was a "real and actual danger that Sollecito could escape Italian justice".
Police are said to have visited Raffaelle in a hotel in Venzone, about 24 miles from the border, in the early hours of Friday. He was then taken to a police station in Udine where a stamp was put in his passport showing he was banned from leaving Italy.
The 29-year-old had been in the courtroom earlier in the day on Thursday, but was not there for the ruling. His lawyer said his client had heard the verdict on TV and looked "annihilated".
After nearly 12 hours of deliberations on Thursday, the court in Florance reinstated the verdicts originally handed to Amanda and Raffaelle in 2009 but which were overturned in 2011, when they were freed after four years in jail.
In a statement issued after the verdict, Amanda said she was "frightened and saddened by this unjust" verdict.
"Having been found innocent before, I expected better from the Italian justice system," Amanda said. "…There has always been a marked lack of evidence. My family and I have suffered greatly from this wrongful prosecution. This has gotten out of hand."