The heir to the throne, pictured with British veterans at the 60th anniversary of the D-Day landings in 2004, will travel to Normandy this weekend at the invitation of the French leader. He reportedly discussed the issue with the Queen, who agreed it was appropriate for him to attend
Photo: © Alphapress.com
Clarence House has confirmed Prince Charles is to attend the 65th anniversary commemoration of D-Day in Normandy following an 11th hour invitation by France's President Nicholas Sarkozy.
Buckingham Palace had originally indicated no members of the royal family would be present at the weekend event as there had been no official invitation. The French organisers insisted deciding who was to represent the UK was a matter for the British government.
Then, on Tuesday, the White House intervened. A spokesperson for US president Barack Obama said the British sovereign should be included in the celebrations. "We are working with those involved to see that it happens," he said.
After Charles reportedly discussed the matter with his mother it was decided he should go. He will attend at least one of the events alongside the US president, Mr Sarkozy and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.
It's not yet known whether the Duchess of Cornwall will be accompanying her husband to France.
The group will convene at the Normandy American Cemetery for the celebrations, which mark 65 years since the landing of the Allied troops which helped defeat Hitler's Germany. Over 800 British veterans are scheduled to take part in a number of events planned for June 6.