The thousands who had assembled to get a glimpse of the Duke and Duchess in Ottawa on Thursday were not disappointed.
Poised and confident, the royal couple thrilled the crowds with warm, heartfelt gestures, wading through throngs of well-wishers to shake hands and accept flowers.
Kate was picture-perfect in a navy lace overlay shift dress by Erdem.
To whoops of delight, William addressed his bilingual hosts in both English and French, before making a quip about his skills.
“It will improve as we go on,” he joked, before going on to say that he and Kate are “truly looking forward to this adventure”.
His charismatic wife added: “Thank you so much. We are so delighted to be here.”
Earlier that day, the couple had been greeted by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his wife Laureen.
And they were also met by a 10,000 strong crowd, who cheered wildly as they waved their Canadian flags.
The quartet then visited the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and shared a moment of quiet reflection as the Last Post was played by a lone trumpeter.
The Prince placed a wreath on the monument whilst his wife laid a small posy.
After the walkabout, the couple took a moment to wind down at Rideau Hall, the Governor General’s official residence which will be their home for the next three days.
After Kate changed into a bird-print Issa wrap dress, they attended a barbecue to meet young Canadians.
On Friday, the popular royals are expected to take part in Canada celebrations on Ottawa Hill.
William and Kate Royal Tour of Canada and US 2011
- June 30 - July 2: The National Capital Region (Ottawa, Ontario, Gatineau) - The royal couple will take part in Canada Day celebrations on Ottawa Hill on July 1
- July 2: Montreal - They will be at the last day of the Montreal Jazz Festival
- July 3: Quebec City
- July 3-4: Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island - The Duke and Duchess will take part in a boatrace against each other. They will sample local delicacies before William participates in a Canadian Air Force demonstration.
- July 4: Summerside, Prince Edward Island
- July 4-6: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
- July 6-8: Calgary, Alberta - The pair will attend the opening of the Calgary Stampede on July 8 and will have the chance to see bucking broncos
- July 8: Los Angeles, United States - The newlyweds will be the guests of honour at a Consular-General Reception held by United Kingdom Trade and Investment
- July 9: Los Angeles - William will play at the Santa Barbara Polo Club in a charity match and the Duchess will present the winners’ trophy. That evening they will attend a BAFTAs dinner
- July 10: Los Angeles - They will visit the Inner-City Arts School project for disadvantage youngsters before attending a job fair aimed at ex-servicemen
- July 10: Los Angeles - Flight back to the UK.
All the news as Duchess Kate's due date draws close...