Consolatory hug for boat race runner up as the Prince sails to victory

Having started with friendly rivalry, including William teasing the opposing team, it ended with a consoling hug from the Prince when he won.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge went head to head in a dragon boat race with teams of local athletes across Dalvay Lake on Prince Edward Island in Canada on Monday, with William sailing to victory.

And earlier in the day, the 29-year-old demonstrated "waterbirding" – a technique developed in Canada to safely land a helicopter on water – before an excited audience and his wife who was taking pictures.

The royal couple go head to head in a dragon boat race, with William offering his wife a consolatory hug after sailing to victory 

The sporty brunette gives it her all in an attempt to beat the Prince 

But her opposition proves too competitive, with William shouting joke insults to her team 

The dragon boat race took place on Dalvay Lake on Prince Edward Island 

Prince William demonstrated "waterbirding" – a technique developed in Canada to safely land a helicopter on water 

Proud Kate documents her husband's feat 

Helicopter rescue pilot William takes to the skies in his gear 

The Duchess looks delighted to reconnect with her childhood as she meets a pretty redhead dressed up as Anne of Green Gables, the protagonist from her favourite novel 

Sharing some jokes as a chef prepares them a lobster 

She giggles as they take part in a 'smudging ceremony'.

This ritual that comes from the First Nations, the aboriginal people of Canada, involved the lighting of sage leaves and wafting the smoke with an eagle wing 

Welcomed by the Mounties to Yellowknife 

William and Kate arrive at Prince Edward Island watched by actors who had dressed up in period costume for the occasion 

The Duke and Duchess were escorted through the streets of Charlottetown in a horse-drawn landau with Prince Edward Island Premier Robert Ghiz and his wife Kate Ellis 

The royal couple accept flowers and greet two young children upon their arrival in Yellowknife