Loading the player...
Surprise Trick or Treaters with a spooky surprise - these red velvet cupcakes from Cake Angels are filled with sprinkles and sweets, making the perfect Halloween treat.
Red velvet cupcake mix
- 60g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 10g cocoa powder
- 20ml red food colouring
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- 150g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Cupcake tray, lined with cupcake cases
- Cake Angels Trick or Treat sprinkles
- Cake Angels Trick or Treat sugar cake decorations (2 packs)
- 150g Cake Angels White Mini Marshmallows (150g)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (for a fan oven). Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. Move aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on a medium speed for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg.
- Make a thick paste by mixing cocoa powder, vanilla extract and red food colouring.
- Add the red cocoa powder paste to the butter mix. Add half of the buttermilk and flour, then mix. Pour in the rest and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into 12 cupcake cases, filling each to 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Cut out a cylindrical hole in the middle of each cupcake, slice the top part of the cylinder and save the tops.
- Fill the middle with sprinkles then put the tops back on.
- Pipe buttercream frosting on top of the cakes and chill for 30 minutes.
- Melt the mirror glaze according to the pack instructions, dip the cupcake in and cover the frosting evenly. Touch up the mirror glaze to cover the rest of the cupcake.
- Gently melt the marshmallows and once sticky, use your fingers to stretch it out to create a spider’s web effect and wrap around the cupcake.
- Add Cake Angels Trick or Treat cake decorations and more sprinkles!