Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 450g/1lb Quality Standard Mark lean
- English minced beef
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 1⁄2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp barbecue or sweet chilli sauce
- 25-50g/1-2oz fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 4-6 ciabatta rolls, split in half
- Salad leaves to garnish
- Relish of your choice to serve
Place the minced beef in a large bowl, add the onion, garlic, red pepper, dried mixed herbs, barbecue or sweet chilli sauce and breadcrumbs. Season, add the egg, then mix together thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Using damp hands shape the mixture into 4-6 evenly sized burgers.
Brush the burgers with a little oil and cook on a prepared barbecue or preheated moderate grill for 4-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through and cooked to preference.
Serve the burgers in ciabatta rolls garnished with salad leaves and a pot of relish alongside.