- 4 lamb shanks, cleaned, trimmed and with the outer fat removed
- 100ml sunflower or any vegetable oil
- 4 chopped red onion
- 100g tomato puree
- 50g natural yoghurt
- 2 black and 2 green cardamom, 2 cloves, 2 cinnamon
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (Or red chilli powder)
- ½ t sp turmeric powder
- ½ t sp Garam Masala powder
- ½ t sp small cardamom powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 5 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt, to taste
- red chilli, finely chopped
- chopped mint
Heat the oil in a thick bottomed pan with a lid. Add the whole spices, onion, ginger garlic paste and the lamb.
Stir and cook on high flame until the onions start boiling, then cover and cook on low heat for an hour and half. Remember to stir occasionally making sure the food doesn’t get stuck to bottom of the pan. Add little water if it sticks to the pan.
Now add all the ground spices, tomato puree and turn up the heat.
Whisk the yogurt gentle and add this when the sauce comes to the boil.
Bring back to the boil and cook for another 15 minutes over a low heat till the meat is tender.
Garnish with chopped mint and chilli and serve with paratha, naan or Basmati rice.