- 1.5 tablespoons allspice berries, freshly ground
- 80g dark packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 bunch spring onions (about 5)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 scotch bonnet chillies, deseeded
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Chicken pieces (2 legs and 2 breasts or wings)
Blend all the marinade ingredients together and smother over the chicken rubbing in well. Use gloves for this, as well as when you chop the scotch bonnets. Refrigerate overnight.
Allow to come to room temperature and brush off most of the excess marinade before grilling on the BBQ. The chicken pieces will probably take about 30 minutes (although it depends on size) – always check the juices run clear.
To cook in the oven, place in a baking tray and cook at 190C for 30-40 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and the juices run clear.
Serve with coleslaw.