- 4 x 175g/6oz lean sirloin, rump or rib-eye steaks
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 x 30g can anchovies in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp water
Extra lime wedges, to garnish
For the black bean salsa
- 100g/4oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 small ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and diced
- ½ yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small red chilli, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small handful freshly chopped coriander
Place the steaks in a large, shallow, non-metallic dish. Add the lime zest and juice and seasoning. Turn the steaks, coating both sides with the marinade, then leave to stand for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the sauce, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan on the barbecue or hob. Add the spring onions, tomatoes, anchovies and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the water and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Remove and set aside.
To make the salsa, mix all the ingredients in a bowl and season.
Cook the steaks on a prepared barbecue, or under a preheated moderate grill – for a 2cm/¾in thick steak, cook for 2½ minutes on each side for rare; 4 minutes on each side for medium; and 6 minutes each side for well done.
Serve the steaks straight away with the sauce and the salsa