Dish type: Fish
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
200g waxy potatoes, peeled and finely sliced or grated
6 large free range eggs
200g white Crab meat, picked through for shell
50g brown crab meat (optional)
100g Davidstow Classic Cheddar, grated
3 tbsp chives, chopped
salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Use a 18-20cm non-stick pan if you don't have a well-seasoned frying pan.
- Heat 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil in the frying pan and, when it's hot, add the onions and potatoes. Stir gently for 5 minutes until they are just starting to soften.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into a bowl and whisk them lightly. When the onions and potatoes are softened spoon into a large bowl and leave to cool slightly. Add the eggs, crab, Classic Cheddar and chives, then season the mixture.
- Put the frying pan back on the heat, add the rest of the oil. When the pan is hot add the mixture to the pan and turn the heat down to its lowest immediately.
- Every now and then draw the edge in gently with a spatula, as this will give it a lovely rounded edge. When there is virtually no liquid egg left on the surface of the omelette, turn it over to cook the other side. Cook for 2 minutes more, then turn the heat off and leave it for a further 5 minutes to settle. It should then be cooked through but still moist in the centre.
- Serve hot or cold and cut into wedges and serve with a summer leaf salad.