Dish type: Dessert
Preparation and cooking time: 50 mins
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
500ml Alpro Hazelnut drink
4 heaped tbsp caster sugar
8 ready-made sweet pastry cases
20g chopped toasted hazelnuts
2 heaped tbsp icing sugar
50g melted dark chocolate
1. Lightly beat the whole eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar in a large bowl.
2. Pop the Alpro Hazelnut drink into a small pan and warm until it reaches a gentle simmer, and then stir into the bowl with the eggs and sugar mixture.
NB. Be careful not to overheat the hazelnut drink and make sure you mix vigorously when you add the eggs, otherwise you may get some curdling.
3. Pour this mixture back into the small pan and thicken a little over a low heat until the consistency is smooth and thick, like a custard.
4. Chop the figs in half and set aside for topping.
5. Place your tart cases on a baking tray and spoon a little of the mixture into each. Pop half a slice fig on top and dust with icing sugar.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until the mixture sets and the fig is slightly caramelised.
7. Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl suspended over boiling water (a bain marie).
8. Top with the hazelnuts and a smidgen of melted dark chocolate for the finishing touch.