140g (5oz) self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
110ml (4floz) buttermilk
1 teaspoon vinegar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food colouring
60g (2oz) butter - room temperature
170g (6oz) caster sugar
1 large egg
200g Renshaw Chocolate Snip and Swirl
250g Renshaw Yellow Ready to Roll Icing
250g Renshaw Jet Black Ready to Roll Icing
500g Renshaw White Ready to Roll Icing
Pink and red decorative flowers
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
2. Line a cup cake tray with cases.
3. Sift together the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt.
4. In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract and red food colouring.
5. In a mixing bowl beat (by hand whisk or electric hand whisk) the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
6. Into the creamed butter and caster sugar, beat in the egg a little at a time. Mix in a third of the flour mixture, followed by half the buttermilk mixture, then another third of the flour, the rest of the buttermilk and finally the last of the flour mixture. Divide the mixture between the paper cases.
7. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until risen and springy.
8. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
1. When cooled, pipe a swirl of Renshaw Chocolate Snip and Swirl onto each cupcake. Knead the Renshaw Yellow Ready to Roll Icing until soft and pliable. Mould a ball of icing into an oval shape to create the body of the bee.
2. Knead and roll out a small amount of the Renshaw Jet Black Ready to Roll Icing on a work surface dusted with icing sugar. Cut very thin strips to create the stripes on the bee. Stick onto the body with a little cooled boiled water.
3. Knead and roll out a small amount of Renshaw White Ready to Roll Icing. Cut out the wings using a small flower cutter, and stick onto the top of the bees body with a little cooled boiled water.
4. Place two tiny pieces of Renshaw Jet Black Ready to Roll Icing on the face of the bee for eyes and mark in a cheeky smile.
5. Decorate each cupcake with a pink and red decorative flower.
for more recipes