iStock-511808350

Devastated mother warns against breastfeeding in bed when tired after son dies

John Thomas Michael Abernathy was two months old

Andrea Caamano

A hearbroken mother has posted a message to warn fellow mums of the dangers of breastfeeding a baby in bed whilst tired. Kristin Hoffmann, who lives in Indianapolis, posted the emotional message on her Facebook page on 5 June just a day after her seven-week-old son John Thomas Michael Abernathy had passed away.

The post, which has been shared 333 times, reads: "WARNING: It greatly pains me and shames me that this happened but I have to ask you all to please share and spread the word.. No matter how tired you are as a mother, GET UP AND GO TO A CHAIR or somewhere you won't fall asleep when you feed your child at night.

"My precious son slipped off my breast and into the covers of my bed early Sunday morning and into heaven. The way we discovered him was a tragedy I don't want to hear happen To anyone else. John Thomas Michael Abernathy 4/10/17-6/4/17 Revived to be baptized in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit."

 

According Kidspot, the baby was revived but he had already been without oxygen for too long "and his heartbroken parents had no choice but to let their baby go".

The mother has been inundated with messages of support since posting the heartbreaking picture of her son.

One follower wrote: "I am praying for you and your family kristin. I am here for you if you need anything cry emoticon:'( i'm so sorry for your loss", whilst another said: "I can't express the sympathy I have for you Kristin Hoffmann. May you find comfort in the rough days ahead and surround yourself with your loved ones. My deepest and warmest condolences go to you and your family."

Although co sleeping with a baby is a common practice, the NHS highlight that the safest place for a baby to sleep for the first six months is in a cot in the same room as the parents.

With co sleeping, as well as a higher risk of Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), there's also a risk that the parent might roll over in their sleep and suffocate the baby. Or the baby could get caught between the wall and the bed, or roll out of an adult bed and be injured.

More on: