Princess Marie of Denmark celebrates her 39th birthday on 6 February. To honour Marie's special day, HELLO! Online presents ten facts about the princess.
1. Marie was born on 6 February 1976, in Paris, France, to parents Alain Cavallier and Francois Grassiot. She was the only child of their marriage, however after they divorced both went on to have children with their new partners giving the princess four half-brothers.
CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR FULL GALLERY
Princess Marie and Prince Joachim at Princess Madeleine of Sweden's wedding
2. While studying at college, the brunette beauty worked as an assistant to the public relations manager at Estée Lauder.
3. She was first pictured with Prince Joachim in August 2005 as they holidayed together in Avignon, France, sparking rumours of a new love for the prince, after his divorce from Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg.
The royal couple on their wedding day in 2008
4. As Paris-born Marie began making weekend trips to Denmark, many believed she would become a royal bride. Then on 3 October 2007, the couple's engaged was announced.
5. Seven months later, on 24 May 2008, the wedding took place at the picturesque Mogeltonder Church, located in a medieval village just to the west of the South Denmark municipality of Tonder. Marie, who became a princess upon marriage, dazzled in a wedding gown designed by Spanish-Italian fashion house Arasa Morelli.
Princess Marie and Prince Joachim presenting their son Prince Henrik
6. Marie was quickly welcomed into the Danish royal family, and Crown Princess Mary, who is married to Joachim’s brother Prince Frederik, guided the new princess in her early days as a royal offering her support. Marie later became a godmother to Frederik and Mary’s daughter Princess Josephine.
7. Both Joachim and Marie are close to his ex-wife Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, and Marie has become a doting step-mother to their children Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix.
France-born Marie in 2008
8. Speaking after their wedding, Princess Marie expressed her desire to expand their family and in May 2009, they welcomed their first child Prince Henrik. Three years later, Marie gave birth the couple’s second child, Princess Athena, who became Joachim’s first daughter.
9. Like many royals, Marie is a keen sportswoman who enjoys bike-riding, running and skiing. She also shares a passion for racing with Prince Joachim.
Princess Marie with her daughter Princess Athena
10. Soon after becoming a member of the Danish royal family, Marie explained she was deciding upon her areas of interest. In October 2008, she undertook her first official engagement as she travelled to Morocco where she visited an orphanage, in Rabat.