Meghan Markle has shut down all her social media accounts, ahead of her royal wedding to Prince Harry in May. A statement released by Kensington Palace said the 36-year-old was "grateful to everyone who has followed her social media accounts over the years" but had closed them "as she has not used these accounts for some time". She also previously ran her own lifestyle website, The Tig, which she closed down in April last year.
Meghan's decision falls in line with her changing status; she will soon become a prominent member of the British royal family following her marriage. Other members of the monarchy do have official Twitter and Instagram accounts, but they are run by members of their household and do not normally feature personal posts. The exception to that is Prince Andrew, who sometimes writes his own tweets, which he signs 'AY'.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry visited a community radio station in Brixton on Tuesday
As of December 2017, Meghan had 1.9million Instagram followers and more than 350,000 Twitter followers. After the royal wedding, social media postings will be made on her behalf by Kensington Palace’s communications staff, who also represent Prince Harry, Prince William and Duchess Kate.
It comes after Meghan and Harry made their first official outing of the year on Tuesday. The couple arrived hand-in-hand at community radio station Reprezent, in Brixton, where they were met with crowds of fans waving Union Jack flags and waving love-themed signs. Meghan attended the engagement wearing a Marks & Spencer jumper, Burberry trousers and a Smythe coat. A DJ at the station, Jeremiah Asiamah, described the pair as a "power couple". He told the BBC: "She's beautiful, such an amazing character, if there's any way you could describe a power couple in this modern day and age, it's definitely them."