A judge has refused to dismiss actress Nicollette Sheridan's lawsuit over the demise of her role in TV drama Desperate Housewives.
Jurors could not reach a verdict in the original two-week trial and a mistrial was ruled.
City News Service said an LA Superior Court judge urged the parties to continue settlement talks but set a new trial for September 10.
A jury was deadlocked 8-4 in favour of Nicollette's claim after a trial last month.
Nicollette sued the creator Marc Cherry for $ 6 million (£3.8 million) for wrongful termination after her character, Edie Britt, was killed off.
She is seeking punitive damages.
The actress claimed her role was eliminated because she complained that he hit her during an on-set dispute.
He said he merely tapped her on the head for artistic direction and the character's death was a creative decision.
Photo: © Getty