It was touted as her big comeback; a daring role that would put Lindsay Lohan back in the spotlight for all the right reasons.
But, after stoically standing by her while she faced legal struggles and rehab, the makers of Inferno have decided to part ways with the 24-year-old actress.
Production had already been stalled on the Linda Lovelace biopic while Lindsay went into rehab.
But with that now extended until at least January 3, and facing difficulties getting insurance for the star, the filmmakers have decided to offer the part elsewhere.
"We are withdrawing our offer from Lindsay Lohan," the director has confirmed.
"We have stuck by Lindsay very patiently for a long time with a lot of love and support.
"Ultimately the impossibility of insuring her – and some other issues – have made it impossible to go forward."
It has since emerged that Malin Akerman – who has appeared in Couples Retreat and Watchmen – is now stepping in.
"Malin was passionate to take this challenge of the role to task, and we feel she has the talent to meet that challenge," producer Chris Hanley told People.
A spokesman for Lindsay has said: "Lindsay is dedicated to her recovery and together they decided to move forward without her."
Photo: © Getty Images