From one-day stints of sadness to weeklong ordeals, everybody has their down days.
But rather than wallow, it is important to try and actively kick-start your happy mood with simple things that don’t cost much time nor money.
If you’re feeling down in the dumps, check out our top ten tips for turning that frown upside down.
1. Engage in some physical activity – Physical exertion releases chemicals in your brain that give you a natural high
2. Listen to your favourite, upbeat song – Hearing stimulating music is an instant list and is a reliable way to affect your mood and energy levels
3. Tackle an item on your to-do list – Unfinished tasks can weigh heavy. So tackle yourself to tick off one thing that’s nagging at you
4. Smile – Your physiology and your mental state form a positive feedback loop. It’s a given that when you are happy, you smile, but it’s also true that when you smile, you become happy
5. Watch something funny – Laughing increases dopamine and helps increase your happiness level
6. Write a diary – Take some alone time to really reconnect with yourself and help order your thoughts by putting them down on paper
7. Spend time with friends and family – The feeling of love and connection you get from surrounding yourself by the people who care about you will help cheer you up
8. Forgive yourself – We all have a tendency to be hard on ourselves. But instead of feeling guilty, try forgiving yourself
9. Look for the best in others – When you see the best in others, the natural tendency is to start to see the best in yourself
10. Eat healthily – What you consume affects your biochemistry, so eat well to make sure your body is happy.
It's a little princess!