Liven up your summer dishes with peppers. A tasty and healthy addition to any plate, this inventive and delicious recipe will leave you wanting to experiment more. For more tasty pepper recipes, pick up your copy of HELLO! out now.
Preparation time 25-30 minutes
Cooking time 15-20 minutes
- • 4 yellow peppers
- • 1 tsp olive oil
- • Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the quick pickled red onion
- • 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- • Juice of half a lime
- • 2 pinches of sugar
- • 1 small red onion, peeled
For the black bean and corn salsa
- • 1 corn on the cob
- • 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- • 1 x 400g tin of black beans, drained
- • ½ red chilli, finely chopped
- • Juice of ½ a lime
- • Small bunch of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- • Small bunch of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
For the avocado cream
- • 1 avocado
- • ½ tsp of ground cumin
- • 1 heaped tbsp Greek yoghurt
- • Squeeze of lime juice
For the chipotle yoghurt
- • 150g/5oz Greek yoghurt
- • 3 tsp chipotle sauce
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, 425°F, Gas 7.
- Cut the peppers in half leaving the stems intact, discard the seeds, then rub inside and out with 1 tsp olive oil, seasoning well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place on a baking tray and roast in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the white wine vinegar, lime juice and the sugar together in a small bowl. Slice the red onion thinly into rings and toss in the lime juice mixture. Leave to one side.
- Next, heat a griddle pan until scorching hot. Brush the corn with 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil and season well. Char the corn on all sides on the hot griddle.
- Remove the kernels from the cob using a sharp knife and add to a small bowl along with the black beans, chili, juice of half a lime (reserving a few drops for the avocado cream) the remaining 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil, most of the coriander, mint, and a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Next, remove the flesh from the avocado and add to a food processor along with the cumin, Greek yoghurt and a squeeze of lime juice. Whizz until smooth.
- Marble the chipotle sauce through the remaining yoghurt.
- Fill the baked yellow peppers with some of the black bean salsa, a dollop of avocado cream, a swirl of chipotle yoghurt, and some of the pickled red onion.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped coriander leaves to serve.
Keep up to date with the latest food news and features here.